Our vision and mission
We believe that journalism is crucial to fostering living democracies throughout Europe. We are dedicated to advancing investigative and independent journalism across Europe that serves the public interest, furthers accountability as well as transparency, and contributes to critical thinking and well-informed debate.
We aim to promote and develop professional journalism in Europe in response to the challenges and opportunities stemming from increased digitalisation, the internationalisation of political, business and criminal power structures, as well as changing revenue models.
Journalismfund.eu vzw is an independent non‐profit organisation established in 1998 by citizens. The organisation was established with the purpose of facilitating indepedent investigative journalism in order to promote democracy in Europe by connecting donors and journalists.
Here's how we work:
- We facilitate donors so that they can play their role to the maximum to support investigative journalism, consequently we report to them transparently on the projects.
- We facilitate journalists to conduct investigative and cross-border journalism, moreover, we safeguard their independence from the donors.
- We help journalists disseminate their stories among citizens.
Journalismfund.eu is a Belgian-registered independent non-profit organisation originating from the Pascal Decroos Fund for investigative journalism. The Fund was set up in 1998 by family, close friends and colleagues of Decroos to commemorate and further the legacy of the Belgian journalist.
What we stand for is what Pascal Decroos stood for in word and deed. He was dedicated to investigative journalism. He was committed to creating opportunities to develop young journalistic talent and had an ability to bring people from different facets of society to dialogue and work together.
The journalism we stand for
The journalism we support is characterised by the two “I”s: investigative and independent.
- Investigative journalism is fact-based, well-researched, uses the best available methods and respects the relevant professional, ethical, and legal rules.
- Independent journalism is credible because it is editorially independent of political, economic or other types of influence. Journalismfund.eu strives to provide the necessary structures to safeguard such editorial independence.
- Independent. We operate independently from any political or economic influences, donor or other interests. We respect the editorial independence of the journalists we work with.
- Transparent. Our board, staff members, partners and the general public know what we stand for, how we operate and make decisions. We ask those we work with to be equally transparent. We are aware that transparency in the context of investigative journalism can expose people to risk and are therefore mindful of our requirements.
- Collaborative. Collaboration empowers. It amplifies the impacts of journalists and journalism. Our willingness and ability to collaborate with key stakeholders in our field strengthens our strategies. Collaboration within and between our organisational structures strengthens our operations.
- Responsive. We act on the needs and interests of journalists. We adapt to changing external and internal opportunities and threats. We walk our talk.
- Innovative. We propagate new journalistic methods and skills. We encourage creative thinking and are willing to try new approaches.