What are all those E numbers doing in the kitchens of our restaurants? An investigation into molecular gastronomy and the food additives industry in our modernist cuisine.
Propeled by the 'modernist cuisine' of Spanish genius Ferran Adriá, long considered the best chef alive with his restaurant El Bulli, products and techniques were introduced into the Dutch and pan-European cuisine that over time became commonplace. Several of these are a gain for chefs, but others might well not be.
The food industry is obliged to label its products meticulously and uses high tech technology to come to correct low doses. But what about our master chefs? Why can they use the same products in unknown doses without the obligation to inform their guests about them? What are all those E numbers, which Adriá calls 'Texturas', doing in the kitchens of our restaurants?
Journalist Marcel van Silfhout and food expert Jörg Zipprick zoom in on the hitherto unknown financial flows, industrial support and motives behind molecular gastronomy.
- DOSSIER: De post-moleculaire keuken (NL) - Follow The Money, 8 March 2016
- Deel 4: Het nieuwe koken anno 2016: poeders, vloeistof & 3D printen van ons eten (NL) - Follow The Money, 19 March 2016
- Deel 3: Koken op topniveau: steeds minder een kwestie van 'echt eten' (NL) - Follow The Money, 16 March 2016
- Deel 2: De alchemisten van de haute cuisine (NL) - Follow The Money, 12 March 2016
- Deel 1: De post-moleculaire keuken: chemische industrie in de topgastronomie (NL) - Follow The Money, 9 March 2016
- De keerzijde van sterrenkok Ferran Adrià (NL) - Follow The Money, 8 March 2016
Help us support in-depth and independent journalism.
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Journalismfund.eu stimulates cross-border journalism by giving journalists the money they need to do their research, by providing networking opportunities, by sharing knowledge and spreading tips.
Help us support journalism that serves the public interest, furthers accountability
as well as transparency and contributes to critical thinking and well-informed debate.
Help Journalismfund.eu support journalism that matters!
Make a gift of any amount today.