BRUSSELS - Excess diesel emissions produce a tiny portion of harmful dusts. Yet, they cause dozens of deaths in Europe’s highly populated road traffic hotspots. The fact that they have such a high health impact despite their relatively small contribution to overall pollution reveals how seriously air contamination threatens our lives.
In Europe, more than a third of those killed each year by toxic particulates associated with diesel emissions exceeding the EU limits live in about one hundred urban conglomerates. Such areas are mainly located in Italy, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain. The total is between 1,500 and 2,000 premature deaths, for a total population of 100,000 inhabitants (almost 2 percent).
The blacklist of the European communities with the highest death toll is based on data by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) and the Norwegian Meteorological Institute (MetNorway). The two research organisations had published a joint study back in September 2017, warning that nearly 5,000 people die prematurely every year due to excess emissions that car makers should have avoided by law.
The researchers cropped all the European countries into 6,600 geographical regions as a way to calculate the most accurate pollution levels in each inhabited area.
Based on this geographical distribution and on equations proven by independent experts, journalists managed to map deaths due to excess diesel emissions in all of the regional divisions. The goal is to show citizens the extent to which Dieselgate has an impact in their own neighborhood, bringing the issue closer to home than the halls of eurocracy where, unknown to them, national government representatives adopted flawed restrictions on diesel car pollution, incapable of safeguarding their health.
- Dieselgate, lo studio: Milano Nord e Monza le aree in Europa con maggiori decessi da emissioni (IT)- lfattoquotidiano, 17 April 2018
- Top 100 European places where Dieselgate ‘kills’ most – EUObserver, 7 June 2018
- EXCLUSIVITÉ Ces 100 zones urbaines où le dieselgate tue le plus – Alternatives Economiques, 15 March 2018
- Barcelona es mejor ciudad que Madrid para morir prematuramente respirando diésel (ES) – El Confidencial, 21 March 2018
- Mapping the Dieselgate death toll – VoxEurop, 5 April 2018
- Die Top 100 der europäischen Orte, an denen Dieselgate am meisten tötet – VoxEurop, 16 March 2018
- Le cento città d’Europa dove il dieselgate miete più vittime – VoxEurop, 16 March 2018
- Les 100 zones urbaines où le Dieselgate tue le plus en Europe – VoxEurop, 16 March 2018
- The top 100 European places where Dieselgate kills the most – European Data Journalism Network, 4 April 2018
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund.eu’s flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.