Despite the efforts and the enormous amounts of money invested in the management of the conflict and the post-conflict situation in Eastern Congo, the different peace agreements failed to create the conditions for sustainable conflict resolution. Conflict in Eastern Congo; a tale of war and dreadful peace agreements.
The present situation in Eastern Congo is the result of a series of wars, rebellions and unworkable peace agreements. Central Africa expert Kris Berwouts went to Eastern Congo for an in-depth analysis of the different layers of conflict in the region. He found out that the different peace agreements did not significantly strengthen the Congolese state, nor were they able to transform Rwanda’s destructive impact on security in Eastern Congo into a more constructive cohabitation.
In his book, which will be published in 2014, he emphasises that Congo and the entire region need bottom-up initiatives of conflict transformation, local governance and development. Before the publication of his book, Berwouts will work several findings in to articles.
- 'La Lucha: Goma's eigen indignados' (BE) (MO*, 15 December 2013)
- 'Strafvermeerdering voor Victoire Ingabire in beroep' (BE) (MO*, 18 December 2013)
- 'Injustice and indifference: Victoire Ingabire is sentenced to 15 years on appeal in Rwanda' (African Arguments, 19 December 2013)
- 'La Lucha: Les mouvement Libertados de Goma' (FR) (Atelier des Médias, 17 December 2013)
- 'Injustice and Indifference - Victoire Ingabire Is Sentenced to 15 Years On Appeal in Rwanda' (all Africa, 19 December 2013)
- 'Patrick Karegeya: dood van een opposant' (BE) (MO*, 2 January 2014)
- 'Congo after M23: the prophet Mukungubila and the death of Colonel Mamadou' (African Arguments, 7 January 2014)
- 'Congo na de profeet en de kolonel' (BE) (MO*, 8 January 2014)
- 'Congo-Kinshasa: 'La Lucha' - Goma's Own Brand of Indignados' (all Africa, 13 January 2014)
- 'Vital Kamerhe: kroniek van een aangekondigde arrestatie?' (BE) (MO*, 17 February 2014)
- 'Congo-Kinshasa: Vital Kamerhe - Kabila's Public Enemy Number One?' (all Africa, 17 February 2014)
- '¿Es Vital Kamerhe el enemigo público número uno de Kabila?' (ES) (UMOYA, 4 March 2014)
- '20 ans après le génocide rwandais : l’horreur, le deuil et après ?' (FR) (Afrikarabia, 12 March 2014)
- 'Hell and healing: Rwanda twenty years on' (EN) (African Arguments, 21 March 2014)
- 'Rwanda na de genocide: de hel en het helen' (BE) (MO*, 24 March 2014)
- 'Congo: reading Kabila’s silences' (African Arguments, 27 March 2014)
- '20 años después el genocidio de Ruanda: tras el horror y el duelo, ¿qué viene a continuación?' (ES) (UMOYA, 28 March 2014)
- 'De stiltes van Kabila' (BE) (MO*, 30 March 2014)
- 'Congo: military reshuffle signals a political landscape in motion' (EN) (African Arguments, 23 oktober 2014)
Congo's Violent Peace: Conflict and Struggle Since the African War - ZED Books (London).
Title: Congo's violent peace: Conflict and Struggle Since the Great African War
Author: Kris Berwouts
Publisher: ZED Books (Londen)
eBook ePub: 9781783603725
eBook Kindle: 9781783603732
Library Edition: 9781783603701
Publication date: 15/07/2017
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund.eu’s flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.