ROTTERDAM/ANTWERP - What is the environmental and health impact of air pollution caused by the (petro)chemical industry in the ports of Antwerp and Rotterdam?
For the first time ever, Apache and Follow the Money show that this damage amounts to billions of euros. Using official figures on the emission and transfer of pollutants from large industrial facilities, we’ve determined a societal cost of between 1,3 billion and 3,9 billion euros in Rotterdam, and between 1,2 billion euros and 3,3 billion euros in Antwerp.
But these figures inevitably underestimate reality, as not all companies have an obligation to report their emissions, and not all substances of concern are taken into account. In the coming months, Follow the Money and Apache will take a closer look at the emissions of the (petro)chemical industries in the ports of Rotterdam and Antwerp.
In the first part of this extensive investigation, we reveal how harmful these emissions from the chemical industry are to public health.
📷 Peter Lipton
- Het Havenproject - Apache 01 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Chemiebedrijven in Antwerpse haven veroorzaken miljarden schade - Apache 01 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- De ziekmakende havens van Antwerpen en Rotterdam - Apache 02 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Industriële uitstoot van schadelijke stoffen wordt structureel onderschat - Apache 12 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Afval in olie mengen kan Antwerps bedrijf duur te staan komen - Apache 13 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Miljardenschade door chemische uitstoot Shell en industrie in Rotterdamse haven - Follow the Money 01 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Duizenden doden, ieder jaar opnieuw: dit kost de chemische industrie in de Rotterdamse haven - Follow the Money 02 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Europese uitstootcijfers deugen niet: gevaarlijke stoffen blijven buiten beeld, hele sectoren registreren niets - Follow the Money 12 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Scheepsbedrijf mengde jarenlang chemisch afval in brandstof - Follow the Money 13 June 2023 (in Dutch)
- Overheid laat Vlaanderen verzuipen in industrieel afvalwater - Apache 19 July 2023 (in Dutch)
- Luchtjes van de Schelde - Apache 20 July 2023 (in Dutch)
- Dark PFAS: de verborgen waarheid - Apache 11 September 2023 (in Dutch)
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.