Who are you guys?
Journalismfund.eu vzw is an independent non‐profit organisation established with the purpose of promoting in-depth and independent journalism in Europe. We were founded in 1998 in Flanders, Belgium, and are currently run by six people: Ides Debruyne (managing director), Linda Berckmans (finance manager), Lisa Akinyi May (communication & project coordinator), Michiel Scharpé (project coordinator), Kristof Polfliet (project coordinator), Katerina Voutsina (project coordinator).
What does Journalismfund.eu do?
1. Journalismfund.eu awards grants to professional journalists and journalistic organisations.
- European Cross-border Grants for journalists who have good ideas for cross-border investigations and for research on European affairs.
- Money Trail Grants for African, Asian and European journalists to investigate cross-border illicit financial flows, tax abuse and corruption in Africa, Asia and Europe.
- Pascal Decroos Fund Grants for notable journalistic projects that are published in Flemish media outlets.
- Flemish Journalism Fund Grants for projects that innovate journalism in Flanders (i.e. the Dutch speaking part of Belgium).
3. Journalismfund.eu organises and facilitates training programmes, like mentoring of grant recipients and a postgraduate International Research Journalism programme.
4. Journalismfund.eu facilitates networking and knowledge sharing, e.g. through its public international journalists’ database and innovation knowledge bank of the Flemish Journalism Fund.
5. Until 2018 Journalismfund.eu organised the annual EIJC & Dataharvest Conference. In 2018 Journalismfund.eu decided to make the conference a stand-alone venture in its own right, so
Journalismfund.eu could focus more on its core activities, in particular acting as an intermediary body to fund independent, high value, cross-border journalism.
Is Journalismfund.eu a governmental institution?
Where does the money of Journalismfund.eu come from?
From different sources. Currently from the Flemish Government and several international foundations.
Journalismfund.eu’s fundraising is conducted according to the following key principles: full transparency, independence and no editorial interference.
Journalismfund.eu’s financial records are reviewed annually by an independent auditor.
You can find all funding information and financial documents here.
How can Journalismfund.eu safeguard its independence?
All formal agreements between Journalismfund.eu and its donors stipulate independence and no editorial interference. (Representatives from) donors can never be part of the juries that award the grants. Journalismfund.eu does not take money from donors that don’t agree with these terms.
Who decides about the grants?
All Journalismfund.eu’s grant programmes work with independent juries that decide autonomously about the allocation of the grant budgets, based on the official grant rules and the submitted applications.
The juries consist of four experienced personalities knowledgeable in the field of journalism and media. Membership is rotating and anonymous. Once they step out of the jury the names of the jury members are made public.
You can find an overview of previous jury members here.