BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA/MONTENEGRO/SERBIA - How parents from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, and Serbia deal with the daily challenges of separation after their children leave the country.
Only the ones whose children are far away know how much they are missed
The story is about parents/grandparents whose children emigrated from small communities in three Western Balkans countries – Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, and Serbia. It tells their personal stories and shows how separation from children and grandchildren affects their mental health and everyday life. Journalists visited three small cities: Sanski Most (BiH), Rožaje (Montenegro), and Vranje (Serbia).
They interviewed local citizens, representatives of the NGO sector and local government, and mental health experts. They conducted an online survey to see the psychological consequences of loneliness and whether citizens are ready to seek professional support if they often feel lonely or depressed. The story also examines whether the local communities have recognized the problem and if anything is being done to improve the mental health of middle-aged and older citizens affected by the emigration of their loved ones.
📷 Hilma Unkic
- ‘Samo onaj kome su deca daleko zna koliko je to nedostajanje’ - Kontra Press 27 September 2023
- “Samo Onaj Kome Su Djeca Daleko Zna Koliko Je To Nedostajanje” - Trend Radio 27 September 2023
- Posljedice migracija: ‘Samo onaj kome su djeca daleko zna koliko je to nedostajanje’ - UL-Info 27 September 2023
- Samo onaj kome su djeca daleko zna koliko je to nedostajanje - Diskriminacija.ba 28 September 2023
- “Samo onaj kome su djeca daleko zna koliko je to nedostajanje” - eTrafika 30 September 2023
- Novinar iz Vranja kreativnošću održava bliskost sa porodicom koja je otišla u inostranstvo - Južne vesti 02 October 2023
- Kad Su Najmiliji Daleko: Radomanovi Pokloni Za Unuke - Bujanovačke 03 October 2023
- ‘Samo onaj kome su deca daleko zna koliko je to nedostajanje’ - Radio Rozaje 08 October 2023
- Samo onaj kome su djeca daleko zna koliko je to nedostajanje - Mreža Mira 08 October 2023
- “Samo onaj kome su djeca daleko zna koliko je to nedostajanje” - Zumiraj 13 October 2023
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.