LVIV - The Ukrainian LGBTQI + community has been trying to organize parades since 2012 - then the organizers of the event canceled them because they were afraid for their safety. Today they are fighting not only for their rights but also at the frontline.
Ukraine has never been a paradise for LGBTQI+ community", LGBTQI+ activist Olena Shevchenko and researcher Maryna Shevtsova state. After Euromaidan (2013-2014) public attitudes towards LGBTQI + community in Ukraine worsened. Nationalist right-wing groups, which could count on the support of a large part of the society due to their active role in the Revolution of Dignity, began to promote a vision of the Ukrainian nation based on traditional, conservative values.
LGBTQI+ persons were presented as a threat to Ukrainian identity. The annexation of Crimea and the outbreak of the war in Donbas have deepened these tendencies. Nationalist groups incited hatred against minority representatives - as those who do not fit the norm.
Since the Russian invasion in Ukraine, the situation of the LGBTQI+ community has further deteriorated - marginalized groups are at greater risk of violence during the war, experts say. This project documents the struggle of LGBTQI+ persons in a war-torn country.
- Batalion z tęczowym jednorozcem (Rainbow Unicorn Battalion) - Dwutygodnik (Poland), 23/08/2022;
- ‘DOOR DE OORLOG BEN IK NU EEN NATIONALISTISCHE LESBIENNE’ - OneWorld.nl, 05/09/2022;
- Jak być młodym, ukraińskim, progresywnym nacjonalistą LGBT+ [Idzikowska pisze z Kijowa] - OKO.press, 04/09/2022;
- LGBT+ rights in Ukraine are still a battleground - Voxeurop English, 27/10/2022;
- La situation des personnes LGBTQIA+ en Ukraine, victime collatérale de la guerre - Voxeurop Français, 27/10/2022;
- La difícil situación de las personas LGBTQIA+ en Ucrania, independientemente de la guerra - Voxeurop Español, 27/10/2022;
- Mit oder ohne Krieg: Die Schwierigkeiten der LGBTQIA+-Community in der Ukraine - Voxeurop Deutsch, 27/10/2022;
- Guerra o meno, in Ucraina i diritti LGBTQIA+ sono una battaglia ancora aperta - Voxeurop Italiano, 27/10/2022.
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.