BELGIUM/INDIA - Kapelle-op-den-Bos is the birthplace of filmmaker Daniel Lambo. Life was good there, Daniel's father was a laborer and trade unionist in the local Eternit factory. The company was once one of the largest asbestos-producing multinationals in the world. Today we know the consequences of asbestos production and for many it's a problem of the past. However, the asbestos issue proves to be still actual when the activities of Eternit abroad are being scrutinized.
In the Indian village of Kymore, Daniel discovers an active asbestos factory that was once owned by the Belgian Eternit. The Indian village is like a mirror of the past of Kapelle-op-den-Bos. The pollution also casts a dark shadow over the village here. Nirmala, an ex-teacher and mother, decides to take up the fight for the many victims of Kymore and for a clean environment.
- Documentary series, VRT/Canvas
- Van Kapelle tot Kymore: Etex ook verantwoordelijk voor asbestslachtoffers in India?, Mo.be, 16/12/2017.
- Hoe het asbestverhaal gewoon verder gaat, Knack, 4/09/2018.
- Asbestlobby: wreed en meedogenloos, Apache 20/12/2018.
- Première MOOOV Filmfestival, 21/04/2018.
- starting 5/09/2018: screenings of ‘Ademloos’ in different cinema's across Belgium.
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund.eu’s flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.