BRUSSELS - “When discussing drug production, we rarely look at the environmental damage and costs. Belgium, together with The Netherlands, is the main producer of synthetic drugs in Europe, and the chemical waste deriving as a by-product from the production here remains.
Some time drug waste is found in barrels, but now more than ever, gangs have started dumping it directly within nature. The diversification of drug production in the country could even pose more dangerous effects. No standardised procedure or method to assess environmental hazard of such substances is existing at a national level. Local authorities, citizens and regional politicians are now trying to find ways to fight the battle.
This is the first attempt to investigate the environmental impact deriving from illicit drug production within Belgium. The research also extends to The Netherlands and Germany.
Photo: © Daniela De Lorenzo
- Hoe illegale drugslabs het milieu schaden, Apache.be, 18/06/2021.
- MDMA Gangs Are Literally Polluting Europe, Vice, 18/06/2021.
- L'Europa ha un problema con l'inquinamento da droga, Wired.it, 26/06/2021.
- Allô la police, j’ai trouvé un labo de drogue, Médor, 17/08/2021.
- Drogue : pollution du sol au plafond, Médor, 19/08/2021.
- Narco-déchets : politique dans la brume, Médor, 20/08/2021.
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund.eu’s flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.