WARSAW – What brings a motley crew of British lawyers, Polish psychologists, American paediatricians, Malaysian church leaders and German doctors to a hotel on the outskirts of a European capital city?
Billed as a conference to “share the latest research initiatives and best practise” on conversion therapy, the event welcomed more than 220 participants from 32 countries by the end of October 2023.
This cross-border investigation tells the story about this event, the violent beliefs and pseudo-theories on how to “heal” homosexuals and trans gender people that were propagated on the ground, but it also uncovers a network of organisations that work to spread this dangerous ideology across Europe. Conversion therapy practitioners from predominately Eastern European countries attended the conference and learnt strategies from speakers from the UK, Germany, the US and more, discussing how they can continue to perform therapy that is illegal in their home countries and widely discredited by international health organisations.
The core investigation is published in the UK and Germany, and followed by stories in Slovakia, Hungary and Croatia and Russia.
Illustration by Katya Vakulenko / katyavakulenko.art
- ‘These LGBT Freaks – Do We Have Them Castrated?’: Inside Europe’s Invite-Only Conversion Therapy Conference, Byline Times, 09/12/2023.
- Wer braucht hier Heilung?, Taz.de, 13/12/2023
- Uzavretá konferencia o liečbe homosexuality prilákala poslanca aj dekanku. Jej účastníci majú na Slovensku nemalý vplyv, Dennik, 21/12/2023.
- Self-proclaimed ‘ex-gays’ are bringing their dangerous ‘conversion mission’ around the world, Gay Times, 04/01/2024.
- Novinarsko istraživanje pokazalo da neki akteri u Europi još zagovaraju “prakse konverzije” LGBT osoba, Faktograf, 30/01/2024.
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.